Ferguson urges Man U owners to sign Ronaldo if he decides to leave Real Madrid
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to bring back former player Cristiano Ronaldo to the club after the Portuguese international expressed unhappiness at current club Real Madrid, and the Scott has urged club owners Glazer Family to do everything possible to sign the flamboyant forward.
Just three years ago Ronaldo joined Madrid in a world-record 80 million pound deal from United, and reports in Spain suggested Ronaldo’s unhappiness is being caused by Madrid’s refusal to hand him a new contract worth a staggering 500,000 pounds-a-week.
But sources close to Ronaldo have rubbished these reports, saying he has been hurt by a lack of respect from teammates, and United is ready to pounce on the opportunity.
“The manager made it clear when Ronaldo joined Real that if he ever left the Bernabeu he should return to Old Trafford,” the Daily Mail quoted a United source, as saying.
“It’s a transfer that would prove that United can still compete with anyone for the biggest names in football. But, at the moment, only Ronaldo knows whether he is serious about leaving Madrid or whether he’s just having a sulk,” the source added.
Ronaldo has an 800 million pound buy-out clause in his contract, but Madrid president Florentino Perez is so annoyed with the lack of respect the winger has shown, that it is believed he will consider anything in excess of 100 million pounds, the paper said.
That would really test Ferguson’s claim that United’s owners have never turned him down when it comes to transfer targets, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened