Fernandes joins Freiburg
Berlin: Swiss international footballer Gelson Fernandes signed with Freiburg.
Bundesliga side Freiburg strengthened their midfield as defensive midfielder Fernandes joined the club from Sporting Clube de Portugal to sign a contract for an undisclosed period on Thursday as both the clubs maintain silence about further contract details.
The 26-year-old has played for several clubs, on short term and mainly on loan, such as Sion, Manchester City, Saint Etienne, Chievo Verona, Leicester City, Udinese and Sporting Clube de Portugal. He has made 42 caps and scored two goals during his five years with the Swiss national football team.
"Gelson is a hard running team player with game intelligence. We are convinced that he fits well into our team," Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbacher said.
Freiburg astonished everyone when they finished the season in fifth position to ensure a berth in Europa League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH