Fernandes joins Freiburg
Berlin: Swiss international footballer Gelson Fernandes signed with Freiburg.
Bundesliga side Freiburg strengthened their midfield as defensive midfielder Fernandes joined the club from Sporting Clube de Portugal to sign a contract for an undisclosed period on Thursday as both the clubs maintain silence about further contract details.
The 26-year-old has played for several clubs, on short term and mainly on loan, such as Sion, Manchester City, Saint Etienne, Chievo Verona, Leicester City, Udinese and Sporting Clube de Portugal. He has made 42 caps and scored two goals during his five years with the Swiss national football team.
"Gelson is a hard running team player with game intelligence. We are convinced that he fits well into our team," Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbacher said.
Freiburg astonished everyone when they finished the season in fifth position to ensure a berth in Europa League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results