Fernandes joins Freiburg
Berlin: Swiss international footballer Gelson Fernandes signed with Freiburg.
Bundesliga side Freiburg strengthened their midfield as defensive midfielder Fernandes joined the club from Sporting Clube de Portugal to sign a contract for an undisclosed period on Thursday as both the clubs maintain silence about further contract details.
The 26-year-old has played for several clubs, on short term and mainly on loan, such as Sion, Manchester City, Saint Etienne, Chievo Verona, Leicester City, Udinese and Sporting Clube de Portugal. He has made 42 caps and scored two goals during his five years with the Swiss national football team.
"Gelson is a hard running team player with game intelligence. We are convinced that he fits well into our team," Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbacher said.
Freiburg astonished everyone when they finished the season in fifth position to ensure a berth in Europa League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights