Fernandes joins Freiburg
Berlin: Swiss international footballer Gelson Fernandes signed with Freiburg.
Bundesliga side Freiburg strengthened their midfield as defensive midfielder Fernandes joined the club from Sporting Clube de Portugal to sign a contract for an undisclosed period on Thursday as both the clubs maintain silence about further contract details.
The 26-year-old has played for several clubs, on short term and mainly on loan, such as Sion, Manchester City, Saint Etienne, Chievo Verona, Leicester City, Udinese and Sporting Clube de Portugal. He has made 42 caps and scored two goals during his five years with the Swiss national football team.
"Gelson is a hard running team player with game intelligence. We are convinced that he fits well into our team," Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbacher said.
Freiburg astonished everyone when they finished the season in fifth position to ensure a berth in Europa League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire