Fernando Torres plays down Barcelona link
London: Fernando Torres has played down reports of a summer move to Barcelona, insisting he will speak with new Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho before deciding his future.
Mourinho`s return to Stamford Bridge has raised fresh doubts over whether the troubled Spaniard will be allowed to remain at Stamford Bridge - doubts the Special One fuelled this week by branding the striker`s Blues career to date "so-so".
6/1 Fernando Torres is 6/1 with BetVictor to join Barcelona
Chelsea have already seen a €40 million-plus-Torres bid for Edinson Cavani rejected by Napoli, but the 29-year-old insists his mind remains fully focused on helping Spain win the Confederations Cup.
"I look forward to talking with Mourinho and knowing what he plans for me," Torres told Radio Marca and Onda Cero´s Radio "Al Primer Toque" sports program.
"I`m the first I know they expected much more from me, and I also expected more from myself. Now I have Mourinho´s pressure added and that`s a challenge for a player."
Torres did, however, admit that he enjoys a personal relationship with Barcelona president Sandro Rosell which might facilitate a summer move.
"I have known Sandro Rosell for a long time," he added. "There is a personal relationship, but nothing else.
"My head goes through the Confederations Cup, and then onto Chelsea. I want to talk with Mourinho and then prepare for the coming season."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice