Fifa assured over World Cup opening venue
Brazil: Emergency meeting between world football governing body and Brazilian club Corinthians ended amicably after the venue was ratified to meet the deadline.
Fifa has been given assurances that the Arena Corinthians will be completed in time to host matches at World Cup 2014.
The venue has come under scrutiny due to the drawn-out process behind its construction - which began in May 2011 - and the world football governing body scheduled an emergency meeting with its owners Corinthians to address the current standoff.
There was a risk that the fixtures scheduled to take place at the stadium, including next summer`s opening match, could be switched to another city if Fifa felt the December 2013 handover deadline would not be met, but talks between the two parties have proved frutiful.
‘We are very satisfied with the meeting and with the fact that we could talk face to face. Sao Paulo will be an example for other cities to deliver the stadium in time, by December 31,’ said Fifa secretary Jerome Valcke.
‘The discussion with Corinthians was very fruitful since we understand we both want the same goal, to have the stadium ready. It is also a special project because of the legacy it leaves for the east zone of Sao Paulo.’
Meanwhile, former Corinthians president - now club representative - Andres Sanchez added: ‘This was an excellent meeting. There was some misunderstanding but Sao Paulo and Corinthians are aware of their responsibilities.
‘I have always been sure that we would host the opening game of the 2014 World Cup and now I am even more. The schedule agreed with Fifa will be respected.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest