Fifa assured over World Cup opening venue
Brazil: Emergency meeting between world football governing body and Brazilian club Corinthians ended amicably after the venue was ratified to meet the deadline.
Fifa has been given assurances that the Arena Corinthians will be completed in time to host matches at World Cup 2014.
The venue has come under scrutiny due to the drawn-out process behind its construction - which began in May 2011 - and the world football governing body scheduled an emergency meeting with its owners Corinthians to address the current standoff.
There was a risk that the fixtures scheduled to take place at the stadium, including next summer`s opening match, could be switched to another city if Fifa felt the December 2013 handover deadline would not be met, but talks between the two parties have proved frutiful.
‘We are very satisfied with the meeting and with the fact that we could talk face to face. Sao Paulo will be an example for other cities to deliver the stadium in time, by December 31,’ said Fifa secretary Jerome Valcke.
‘The discussion with Corinthians was very fruitful since we understand we both want the same goal, to have the stadium ready. It is also a special project because of the legacy it leaves for the east zone of Sao Paulo.’
Meanwhile, former Corinthians president - now club representative - Andres Sanchez added: ‘This was an excellent meeting. There was some misunderstanding but Sao Paulo and Corinthians are aware of their responsibilities.
‘I have always been sure that we would host the opening game of the 2014 World Cup and now I am even more. The schedule agreed with Fifa will be respected.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe