FIFA awards UAE win in Olympic qualifier
Abu Dhabi: FIFA has ruled that the Iraq national team fielded an ineligible player in an Olympic qualifying match last November, and thus awarded a 3-0 victory to rival United Arab Emirates.
Iraq won the match in Al Ain 2-0 but FIFA`s disciplinary committee found that the Iraqis fielded defender Jasim Faisal should have been suspended for that game after receiving two yellow cards in two previous matches.
The UAE is tied with Uzbekistan at the top of Group B with two matches remaining, Xinhua reported.
The winner of Group B qualifies directly for the London 2012 Olympics, and the second-placed finisher advance to a three-team AFC playoff in March, with the survivor facing Senegal in April and the winner qualifying for London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand