FIFA awards UAE win in Olympic qualifier
Abu Dhabi: FIFA has ruled that the Iraq national team fielded an ineligible player in an Olympic qualifying match last November, and thus awarded a 3-0 victory to rival United Arab Emirates.
Iraq won the match in Al Ain 2-0 but FIFA`s disciplinary committee found that the Iraqis fielded defender Jasim Faisal should have been suspended for that game after receiving two yellow cards in two previous matches.
The UAE is tied with Uzbekistan at the top of Group B with two matches remaining, Xinhua reported.
The winner of Group B qualifies directly for the London 2012 Olympics, and the second-placed finisher advance to a three-team AFC playoff in March, with the survivor facing Senegal in April and the winner qualifying for London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj