FIFA boss accused of `sexism` over `good looking` comment to Oz woman candidate
Sydney: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been accused of sexism after he called Australia`s candidate for a new woman`s place on the executive committee as `good and good looking`.
In an address to the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), Blatter had praised Moya Dodd, who is an AFC vice-president and one of the four women standing for the seat on the top executive committee.
However, Blatter`s praise seemed to have offended certain female sentiments, with a senior lecturer in sport management at the University of Technology, Sydney, Dr Johanna Adriaanse, saying that Blatter`s comments about Dodd were blatantly sexist and added that had Dodd been a man, Blatter would not have made the comment.
Adriaanse, who is the co-chair of the International Working Group on Women and Sport, said that Dodd is `super capable` and the ideal candidate to serve on the top executive committee with her legal background and skills, adding that she has played the game at the highest level.
Echoing Adriaanse, president of the Australian WomenSport and Recreation Association Janice Crosswhite said that Blatter`s comment was disappointing, although she added that she is not surprised at the comment with Blatter`s record in leadership regarding women in football.
According to Crosswhite, such comments are not necessary as Dodd is strong and capable of standing on her legs, adding that she has proved her leadership qualities in Australian football.
However, Dodd denied taking any offence over Blatter`s comment, saying that she was more focused on his earlier comments that she was a very good candidate.
Blatter also confirmed in the speech that he would ask for the suspension of a decision on the introduction of age and term limits for high-ranking officials until at least next year, saying that he will propose that the 209 member countries `postpone this problem`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony