FIFA concerned with Maracana delays
Rio de Janeiro: World football governing body FIFA has reiterated its concern at delays in the redevelopment of Rio de Janeiro`s Maracana Stadium for the 2014 World Cup.
The iconic venue is still without a roof and turf as workers battle around the clock to finish the arena ahead of FIFA`s April 15 deadline.
Maracana is scheduled to stage three FIFA Confederations Cup matches in June, including the tournament final.
FIFA originally gave the event`s six venues a December deadline to complete refurbishment works but only Fortaleza`s Castelao and Belo Horizonte`s Mineirao are ready.
"The city which I will be visiting in two days is the one that worries me the most," FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said during his tour of Recife`s Arena Pernambuco Tuesday.
Valcke was due to visit Bolo Horizonte Wednesday and Rio de Janeiro Thursday, where an inspection of the Maracana will be followed by a meeting with the local 2014 World Cup organising committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!