FIFA concerned with Maracana delays
Rio de Janeiro: World football governing body FIFA has reiterated its concern at delays in the redevelopment of Rio de Janeiro`s Maracana Stadium for the 2014 World Cup.
The iconic venue is still without a roof and turf as workers battle around the clock to finish the arena ahead of FIFA`s April 15 deadline.
Maracana is scheduled to stage three FIFA Confederations Cup matches in June, including the tournament final.
FIFA originally gave the event`s six venues a December deadline to complete refurbishment works but only Fortaleza`s Castelao and Belo Horizonte`s Mineirao are ready.
"The city which I will be visiting in two days is the one that worries me the most," FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said during his tour of Recife`s Arena Pernambuco Tuesday.
Valcke was due to visit Bolo Horizonte Wednesday and Rio de Janeiro Thursday, where an inspection of the Maracana will be followed by a meeting with the local 2014 World Cup organising committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!