FIFA delays World Cup 2014 ticket price announcement
Zurich: FIFA has delayed the announcement of ticket costs for the 2014 World Cup following further civil unrest on the streets of Brazil on Sunday.
The governing body was scheduled to release pricing details of tickets for next summer`s tournament on Monday.
Instead, the announcement will now come on July 19 but, despite Fifa`s secretary general Jerome Valcke citing ticketing issues for the delay, it is thought the postponement could be linked to fears the public demonstrations could intensify.
Valcke said, "We want to look at all the issues we have faced at the Confederations Cup.
"We want to avoid having 10,000 tickets that are not collected two days prior to the game."
Meanwhile, the protests continued to grab headlines in the country despite the Selecao winning the Confederations Cup, with rubber bullets and tear gas used by police to combat the marchers.
But FIFA president Sepp Blatter insists the tournament was a "success" on a sporting level.
"Thanks to all those who have helped to make this competition such a success, despite the unrest and protests," he said.
"I am happy to come to the conclusion now, with the sporting results and also — with at least the impression that — the social unrest is now resting. I don`t know how long but it is now resting."
Host nation Brazil triumphed at the Confederations Cup, with Luis Felipe Scolari`s men beating Spain 3-0 to win their third successive title, and fourth overall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid