FIFA delays World Cup 2014 ticket price announcement
Zurich: FIFA has delayed the announcement of ticket costs for the 2014 World Cup following further civil unrest on the streets of Brazil on Sunday.
The governing body was scheduled to release pricing details of tickets for next summer`s tournament on Monday.
Instead, the announcement will now come on July 19 but, despite Fifa`s secretary general Jerome Valcke citing ticketing issues for the delay, it is thought the postponement could be linked to fears the public demonstrations could intensify.
Valcke said, "We want to look at all the issues we have faced at the Confederations Cup.
"We want to avoid having 10,000 tickets that are not collected two days prior to the game."
Meanwhile, the protests continued to grab headlines in the country despite the Selecao winning the Confederations Cup, with rubber bullets and tear gas used by police to combat the marchers.
But FIFA president Sepp Blatter insists the tournament was a "success" on a sporting level.
"Thanks to all those who have helped to make this competition such a success, despite the unrest and protests," he said.
"I am happy to come to the conclusion now, with the sporting results and also — with at least the impression that — the social unrest is now resting. I don`t know how long but it is now resting."
Host nation Brazil triumphed at the Confederations Cup, with Luis Felipe Scolari`s men beating Spain 3-0 to win their third successive title, and fourth overall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened