FIFA, France Football combine for best footballer award
Johannesburg: World football governing body FIFA and the magazine France Football will jointly award the Golden Ball for the best footballer in the world, FIFA president Joseph Blatter said Monday.
“The winner is football because as of January of next year we will have one single trophy for the best player in the world,” Blatter told a press conference in Johannesburg.
The award - which will be called FIFA Ballon d’Or - will be presented for the first time on January 10, 2011.
Until now, two awards for the Footballer of the Year have been handed out each year, with FIFA handing out silverware since 1991 and France Football since 1956.
FIFA and the magazine must still agree on which criteria the winner will be named.
FIFA’s victor was selected by the coaches and captains of national teams, while the French Football award was decided by journalists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble