FIFA general secretary Valcke says ‘match-fixing’ disease that could kill football
Washington: FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke has claimed match fixing is a disease that could kill football in future. Valcke said in interview that the disease of match fixing in football is threat on a universal basis. Earlier, this month FIFA handed lifetime bans to 41 South Korean players who had been involved in prearranging matches. Valcke added if the result of a football game is decided before the match then it certainly means the end of the sport.
Valcke further said it can be the team you think would win, but it can also be the other team, the opponent who can make it because it`s just played on one goal, adding that is the exact reason why they have to protect football as much as we can. Valcke warned that the fight against the highly lucrative match-fixing business could take 10 years, and urged anyone with knowledge of such activity to come forward.
In May 2011 FIFA announced it would donate over 25 million dollars to Interpol over 10 years, the largest grant the world police organization had ever received from a private body, with a view to tackling corruption, the paper said. Valcke said the fight against football is going to be a very long one and a very difficult one to win, and he urged everyone related to football to unite and wage a war against the menace of match fixing in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof