FIFA Panel Referee beaten up in Subroto Cup match: Report
It was another case of players showing disrespect to the referee. FIFA panel referee Armughan Rowan was injured severely after a footballer from the Steqlal High School, Afghanistan attacked Rowan over a red card given to one his fellow teammates.
Rowan, who was bleeding profusely, had to be taken to a local hospital and needed six stitches to his upper lip. Assistant referee CR Singha oversaw the remaining minutes of the match. Steqlal had lost to 0-2 to Ukraine`s Dynamo Kyiv. The side felt hard done by as one of the players was sent off by Rowan just before full time. Shejauddin, one of the members of Steqlal went a step further and attacked Rowan.
Rowan is considered one of India`s best referees and is tipped to be included in the AFC Elite Panel soon.
"Subroto Cup is not affiliated to the AIFF (All India Football Federation). But if a report comes to us, we will take necessary steps," Gautam Kar, the head of referees at AIFF, told The Telegraph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands