FIFA Panel Referee beaten up in Subroto Cup match: Report
It was another case of players showing disrespect to the referee. FIFA panel referee Armughan Rowan was injured severely after a footballer from the Steqlal High School, Afghanistan attacked Rowan over a red card given to one his fellow teammates.
Rowan, who was bleeding profusely, had to be taken to a local hospital and needed six stitches to his upper lip. Assistant referee CR Singha oversaw the remaining minutes of the match. Steqlal had lost to 0-2 to Ukraine`s Dynamo Kyiv. The side felt hard done by as one of the players was sent off by Rowan just before full time. Shejauddin, one of the members of Steqlal went a step further and attacked Rowan.
Rowan is considered one of India`s best referees and is tipped to be included in the AFC Elite Panel soon.
"Subroto Cup is not affiliated to the AIFF (All India Football Federation). But if a report comes to us, we will take necessary steps," Gautam Kar, the head of referees at AIFF, told The Telegraph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon