FIFA Panel Referee beaten up in Subroto Cup match: Report
It was another case of players showing disrespect to the referee. FIFA panel referee Armughan Rowan was injured severely after a footballer from the Steqlal High School, Afghanistan attacked Rowan over a red card given to one his fellow teammates.
Rowan, who was bleeding profusely, had to be taken to a local hospital and needed six stitches to his upper lip. Assistant referee CR Singha oversaw the remaining minutes of the match. Steqlal had lost to 0-2 to Ukraine`s Dynamo Kyiv. The side felt hard done by as one of the players was sent off by Rowan just before full time. Shejauddin, one of the members of Steqlal went a step further and attacked Rowan.
Rowan is considered one of India`s best referees and is tipped to be included in the AFC Elite Panel soon.
"Subroto Cup is not affiliated to the AIFF (All India Football Federation). But if a report comes to us, we will take necessary steps," Gautam Kar, the head of referees at AIFF, told The Telegraph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results