FIFA pick 11 Russian cities to host 2018 World Cup
Moscow: World football body FIFA and Russia jointly announced 11 cities to host the 2018 World Cup.
In a live TV broadcast show Saturday, the host cities were picked up from 13 candidates, they were Kaliningrad, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Saransk, Samara, Yekaterinburg, Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd and Sochi.
The southern city of Krasnodar and the central Yaroslavl were dropped from the candidate list. Earlier, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko has warned that Yaroslavl had "several problems" that may kill its bid.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a televised message that hosting the World Cup was "good stimulator to boost the economy."
"More than anything, it`s a very good way to get young people involved in sports," Putin said.
The government would offer subsidies to support the transportation in the host cities, he promised.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter thanked Putin and other Russian officials for their supports, lauding that Russia`s preparation works were ahead of scheduled.
"I`m convinced that it will be a great success," Blatter said in televised comments.
Officials from FIFA and Russia, as well as Russian athletes, football stars and celebrities attended the announcement ceremony. Russia were awarded the right to host the 2018 World Cup in December, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter