FIFA president Blatter`s ‘hacked’ Twitter account shows corruption ‘admissions’
London: According to international football governing body FIFA, the Twitter accounts of its head Sepp Blatter and the World Cup team have been hacked, with spoof messages posted claiming that Blatter was involved in corruption.
FIFA sources said that the co-ordinated hacking affected the @SeppBlatter and the @FifaWorldCup accounts, with messages suggesting the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar had involved money-changing hands, Sky News reports.
The report further said that a group called the Syrian Electronic Army had claimed responsibility for the hackings by signing off from both accounts.
According to the report, while the @FifaWorldCup account carried tweets suggesting that Blatter was to stand down following corruption charges, the @SeppBlatter account ``responded`` with messages purporting to be Blatter defending himself, saying that he will not apologize for his decision as he has done the best for FIFA.
The report also said that spoof messages purporting to be from Blatter also hinted that he had received money in connection with the awarding of World Cup 2022 to Qatar.
However, FIFA issued a statement saying that the messages are false and the accounts of Blatter and @FifaWorldCup have been hacked, adding that to avoid any doubt, fans can verify and check any statements that they see on a FIFA twitter account with the FIFA Media department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
However, many of the posts on the twitter feed were re-tweeted by people before FIFA had a chance to take them down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened