FIFA president hints 2006 World Cup hosting rights were bought
Zurich: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has hinted that the 2006 World Cup was possibly awarded to Germany because of corruption.
The 76-year-old has revealed that one of the members with the right to vote inexplicably left the room during the election, and feels that he was perhaps too naive not to think anything of it at the time.
"World Cups that were bought... I`m thinking about how the 2006 World Cup was awarded, when someone all of a sudden left the room at the last moment. Instead of a 10-10 tie, it was now 10-9 in favour of Germany`s bid during the vote," Blatter stated in an interview.
"I was pleased that I didn`t have to give the decisive vote. But, well, someone just got up all of a sudden and left the room. Perhaps I was a bit too naive on that occasion. I`m not implying anything. I`m just saying what happened."
The German football association (DFB) has reacted angrily to Blatter`s comments, and have dismissed them as an attempt to distract from the recent bribery scandal involving former FIFA president Joao Havelange.
"These nebulous remarks are completely unfounded and only seem to serve the goal of creating a distraction from the current affairs and events within FIFA," DFB secretary general Helmut Sandrock stated.
Blatter also revealed that an unnamed football association president attempted to bribe him in 1986.
"There has been an attempt to bribe me. When I was still secretary-general, the president of a country`s FA approached me. It was ahead of a play-off game ahead of the 1986 World Cup. It happened here at the FIFA headquarters.
"He came up to me and stated `it would be good if the referee would be in our favour` before shoving an envelope in my pocket-coat. There was $50,000 in there, which I gave to our accountant.
"We opened a bank account in his name, and told him about it. He withdrew the money again shortly after, and nobody`s since tried to bribe me again."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling