FIFA president Sepp Blatter postpones visit to Cuba
Havana: Joseph Blatter, president of the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA), has postponed a scheduled visit to Cuba from October to early 2013, a Cuban sports official said.
FIFA said the trip was postponed due to “sports politics” related to the organisation of the 2014 World Cup games in Brazil, according to Luis Enrique Yero, secretary of the Cuban Football Association.
Blatter was expected to be in Havana Oct 25 as part of a Caribbean tour that also included Barbados, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
FIFA’s top official was going to preside over the laying of the cornerstone of Havana’s first synthetic-grass soccer field at La Polar Stadium, where construction is to begin in January.
Blatter earlier visited Cuba in November 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!