FIFA revokes Bulgaria player suspension
Sofia: FIFA revoked the provisional suspension of Bulgarian international Yordan Minev on Thursday only hours after announcing the defender failed a dope test at a World Cup qualifier away to Malta this month.
World soccer`s ruling body said the chairman of its disciplinary committee made the U-turn "following clarification by medical bodies."
"It appears that there is no circumstantial evidence that anti-doping rules have been violated," FIFA added.
The earlier statement had spoken of "an adverse analytical finding" from the doping control after the September 10 game, which Bulgaria won 2-1, with the player suspended for 30 days.
FIFA did not divulge the player`s identity, or name any substance, but Minev confirmed to reporters outside the Bulgarian Football Union headquarters that he was the one involved.
"It`s a shock for me, it was like they told me I`m pregnant because I never took even a pill in my career," he said.
"I only had a painkilling injection and the doctor described everything in the documentation before the doping test following the match against Malta. I have not done anything wrong and I hope that I will continue playing."
Bulgaria are second in European Group B with 13 points from eight games, seven behind Italy who have already guaranteed first place and qualified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city