FIFA says 2022 World Cup not to be moved to year beginning

Last Updated: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 16:13

London: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be moved to January or February 2022 in order to avoid clashing with the Winter Olympics, which are also to be held that year.

Last month, the world football governing body had set up a taskforce to look at alternative dates for the tournament through a consultation with medical experts, broadcasters, sponsors and influential European leagues.

According to the BBC, Blatter said that the tournament would instead be held in November or December that year, instead of the initially scheduled summer months, which many fear would put players and fans at risk because of the extremely high temperatures.

Blatter also said that FIFA has made the move out of the respect to the Olympic organisation, adding that both of the organisations have practically the same media, television and marketing partners.

Blatter also ruled out any possibility that the Gulf state could co-host the 2022 World Cup with neighbouring countries.

There have been calls from a number of senior figures, including Football Association chairman Greg Dyke, for FIFA to consider awarding the tournament to another nation, the report added.

ANI

First Published: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 16:54

comments powered by Disqus

Quote

I`ve got my strength back, which is nice. Now the next goal is to get my explosiveness and my fast twitch going, and that`s the next phase of my training.

Tiger Woods