FIFA team meets Sports Ministry, starts inspection of venues
New Delhi: Taking the first step towards ensuring smooth conduct of the 2017 Under-17 football World Cup in India, a three-member FIFA team has met officials of the Sports Ministry before leaving to inspect probable venues for the showpiece event.
"FIFA officials are already in India and they also had a meeting with Sports Ministry officials yesterday regarding the hosting of the mega tournament. They have now left for Pune which is one of the probable eight venues," an AIFF official told PTI.
"Preparations have started for the tournament and we are hopeful of being in the list of final six venues," said a state association official.
The officials from the world governing body will be here for around 10 days to inspect the stadia shortlisted for the World Cup.
The officials are expected to take stock of Mumbai`s Cooperage stadium over which an artificial turf has been laid under FIFA`s Win in India with India`s programme.
The officials will visit all the eight venues shortlisted by the All India Football Federation for the tournament. Only six stadiums will be required for the prestigious event.
The Capital`s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Ambedkar Stadium are also in contention.
The other shortlisted venues are Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, Karnataka State Football Association Stadium in Bangalore, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium at Margao, Kochi and Guwahati and Balewadi Stadium in Pune.
Surprisingly, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai, which fulfills maximum number of FIFA criteria, was not included in the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof