FIFA to announce 2018 World Cup host cities
Moscow: Football`s world governing body (FIFA) has confirmed it would announce the host cities of the 2018 World Cup in Russia Sep 29.
During a live broadcast on Russia`s Channel One TV, FIFA president Sepp Blatter and Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko will jointly unveil the final 11 host cities among 13 candidates, reports Xinhua.
"I can say with pride that whichever host cities are finally selected, we believe that the entire country will win," Mutko said Friday.
Officials from FIFA and Russia, as well as Russian athletes, football stars and celebrities will also attend the announcement ceremony.
Russia was awarded the right to host the 2018 World Cup in December, 2010. A total of 13 Russian cities, including Kaliningrad, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Yaroslavl, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Saransk, Samara, Yekaterinburg, Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd, Krasnodar and Sochi are vying to host World Cup matches.
Mutko said in April that FIFA has allocated nearly $700 million for the 2018 World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017