FIFA vice-president says, he “would support” re-vote for 2022 World Cup
Zee Media Bureau
London: Controversies surrounding the awarding of 2022 World Cup hosting rights to Qatar takes a new turn following the FIFA vice-president, Jim Boyce`s admission that he “would support” a re-vote if it`s proved that the bid was won through an improper way.
Earlier, amid growing calls for the Gulf state to be stripped of the right to host football`s show-piece event in 2022, the English Football Association chairman, Greg Dyke had said that a new vote should take place.
It is believed that Boyce offered his support after a British publication claimed that they have obtained millions of leaked emails and secret documents which could implicate Mohammed Bin Hammam in corrupting FIFA members to win the 2022 World Cup bid.
Bin Hammam, a former FIFA executive committee member from Qatar, was initially banned from football administration for life in July 2011 after being found guilty of attempted bribery to buy votes in the FIFA presidential election. However, his ban was revoked the following year by the Court of Arbitration for Sport due to insufficient evidence.
In between, the Qatar 2022 Bid Committee has issued a statement that Bin Hammam"played no official or unofficial role". In the statement, the committee also “deny all allegations of wrong-doing” during the bidding process of the 2022 World Cup.
The Qatar 2022 Bid Committee will meet FIFA investigator Michael Garcia in Oman today as a part of the semi-independent inquiry into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!