Filipe Luis revels as Brazil`s first-choice left-back
Rio de Janeiro: Atletico Madrid defender Filipe Luis admits he feels "privileged" to be Brazil`s first-choice left-back ahead of Real Madrid`s Marcelo.
Luis delivered an assured performance after his surprise start in Brazil`s 2-2 draw with England in their friendly at Rio`s Maracana stadium, Sunday.
The Selecao coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has continued to prefer the 27-year-old to Marcelo during the squad`s match simulation exercises in the central Brazilian city of Goiania this week.
"When you play for your club you just want to play," Luis said Wednesday. "But when you play for the Brazil national team, you want to be champion. If that means being a part of the starting line-up, great. If not, that`s great too.
"Just being here in the squad and vying for a position that has so much competition is a privilege."
Luis, who joined Atletico Madrid in 2010 after four seasons with fellow Spanish club Deportivo La Coruna, admitted he and Marcelo offered contrasting styles.
"We are different players but we have the same objective. The top priority is to mark our opponent and not make any defensive mistakes. Then we can help out in attack.
"Marcelo started out as an attacking midfielder so it`s more natural for him to go forward. He can run through the midfield and is very skillful. I`m a big fan of the way he plays."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!