Finally, AIFF set to meet I-League club representatives
New Delhi: Representatives of all I-League clubs will gather at the All India Football Federation headquarters here on June 26 to deliberate on recent decisions taken by the AIFF emergency committee.
"All matters pertaining to the I-League and the Federation Cup would be discussed extensively and finalised on the day," the AIFF said in a statement.
The proposed move to adopt a MLS-style Conference model for the I-League has ruffled feathers in the clubs.
Under the MLS model, the league will see teams divided into two groups -- east and west conference -- with only the top four progressing to the final round, while the remainder of the clubs will fight to save themselves from the one relegation spot.
The clubs have also not welcomed the idea to release their players for the cash-rich IPL-style league proposed by IMG-Reliance. This is also expected to figure prominently in the discussions.
"The clubs have already given in writing that they will not release any of their players for the league, or give players on loan," Salgaocar secretary Raj Gomes stated.
Gomes, who is also the President of I-League Professional Football Clubs Association (IPFCA), had said a days back that they have all the clubs on board.
I-League CEO Sunando Dhar believed the upcoming meeting will be a "fruitful one".
"I would like to take this opportunity to welcome on board the two new I-League clubs -- Mumbai Tigers and JSW Sports as well as the two promoted clubs -- Mohammedan Sporting and Rangdajied FC. We are hopeful the four new entrants will help the I-League become a better product."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'