Five facts on Michel Platini
Five facts on Michel Platini who announced on Thursday that he will stand again as UEFA leader instead of challenging Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency:
Monaco: Five facts on Michel Platini who announced on Thursday that he will stand again as UEFA leader instead of challenging Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency:
1. Now 59, Platini is considered one of the all-time great footballers. He won the Ballon d`Or three times in 1983, 1984, 1985. Only Lionel Messi has won the award more times. Platini was also in the French team that won the European Championship in 1984.
2. He was coach of the French team from 1988 until 1992. The team were unbeaten for 19 matches running into the 1992 European Championships, but crashed out of the tournament in the first round and Platini`s reign ended.
3. Platini has turned himself into an accomplished football administrator and politician. He was joint head of the organizing committee for the 1998 World Cup held in France and won by the hosts. That served as a launchpad to become a UEFA executive member in 2002.
4. Platini became UEFA`s president in 2007, winning a new election in 2011, and has since stepped up criticism of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, calling for the Swiss official to step down and for change at the top of world football.
5. The French official said he would seek a new UEFA term in 2015 and would step up his defence of Europe`s interests including its number of places at the World Cup and its share of world football revenues.