Berlin: Borussia Moenchegladbach are having a nightmare start.
- Lucien Favre has built Germany`s sleeping giants up with swift counter-attacking built on a rock-solid defence, which seems to have deserted them this season.
Gladbach have opened the league season with three straight defeats and went down tamely in Sunday`s 2-1 defeat at Werder Bremen.
Having drawn Juventus, Manchester City and Sevilla in Group D, Gladbach may be in store to have a debut season to forget in the Champions League, unless they return to last season`s form which saw them finish third.
Thomas Tuchel is enjoying the best Bundesliga start for a Borussia Dortmund coach.
- After scoring 11 goals in their three league matches Tuchel is enjoying the best start to a Bundesliga season in Borussia Dortmund`s history.
Their 3-1 win over Hertha Berlin on Sunday in sweltering temperatures came after they routed Norway`s Odds BK 7-2 in Dortmund on Thursday to qualify for the Europa League`s group stages.
Armenia international Henrikh Mkhitaryan is a revelation on the right wing with Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa back to his 2012 best which saw Dortmund win the German league and cup double.
It`s too early to say whether Dortmund can sustain the pace, but their October 3 showdown at the Allianz Arena with Bayern Munich is shaping up nicely.
Bayern Munich have a strict penalty hierachy and fast feet.
- Thomas Mueller slotted Bayern`s first penalty in Saturday`s 3-0 win over Leverkusen and Arjen Robben took their second spot-kick, despite a little power struggle with Arturo Vidal.
The Chile international was a penalty taker at previous club Juventus and gestured to Robben that he wanted to take the kick after being fouled.
But the Netherlands captain put him straight.
"We have a very clear agreement in penalties: Thomas is the first taker, I am second," said Robben.
"But it`s good that he wants to take them, it`s better than everyone being too afraid to step up."
Robben told new signing Douglas Costa to keep his `circus tricks` to the training ground after the Brailian`s outrageous back-heel flick wrong-footed Leverkusen midfielder Julian Brandt.
But speed on the flanks is what coach Pep Guardiola wanted as Bayern signed France Under-21`s fleet-footed winger Kingsley Coman on loan on Sunday, while Selecao centre-back Dante, whose lack of pace showed on occasion last season, was sold to Wolfsburg.
Wolfsburg will be fine after Kevin de Bruyne`s City switch.
- Germany`s Wolves are laughing all the way to the bank after selling De Bruyne for a reported Manchester City and Bundesliga record in the region of GBP 54 million (USD 83.6 million, EUR 74 million).
The Belgian attacking midfielder sat out Friday`s 3-0 win at home to Schalke with director of sport Klaus Allofs saying they only wanted players who were "100 percent focused" on Wolfsburg.
Germany forward Max Kruse slotted into the attacking midfield role De Bruyne vacated, and Wolfsburg are bidding to sign Julian Draxler from Schalke, as Bs Dost Riardo Rodriguez and Timm Klose scored their goals to leave them third.
Mainz`s Muto still has a few German words to learn.
- Japan striker Yoshinori Muto opened his Bundesliga goal account with a double in Mainz`s 3-0 win over Hanover and while his German is very impressive, by his own admission, he still has a few words to learn.
Having joined the home fans on the terrace to sing their traditional `Humba` song after the final whistle, he admitted: "I didn`t really understand what I was singing, but I`m assuming we were singing something about Mainz.
"The fans here are superb and I was really honoured to be able to get up in the stands and sing along.
"I hope to be able to join in with the singing again sometime soon, next time off by heart."