Flamengo eliminated from Copa Libertadores
Rio de Janeiro: Emelec`s dramatic victory over Olimpia in Paraguay`s capital Asuncion eliminated Brazilian giants Flamengo from the Copa Libertadores.
Defender Jose Quinonez scored the injury-time winner as Ecuador`s Emelec overcame the Paraguayans 3-2 Thursday to secure a spot in the tournament`s knockout phase.
The result meant Flamengo`s 3-0 victory over Argentina`s Lanus at the Engenhao stadium went in vain, Xinhua reported.
It was a bitter-sweet night for Flamengo supporters, who after a stuttering Libertadores campaign finally saw their team play in a fluent and attacking manner.
Welinton Souza Silva and Deivid scored first-half goals for the Brazilians before Luiz Antonio made it 3-0 five minutes into the second half.
Former Barcelona and AC Milan star Ronaldinho showed flashes of his old brilliance by setting up two of the goals and posing a constant threat to the Lanus defence.
The result in Paraguay means Flamengo finish the group phase on 8 points, one behind Emelec and two behind Lanus.
After the match, Flamengo coach Joel Santana denied his team was suffering a crisis.
"I think we had more good moments in this tournament than bad ones," Santana said, adding the team would now turn its focus to the Rio Cup.
Santana reserved special praise for Ronaldinho, maligned by Flamengo fans in recent weeks for his inconsistent form.
"Ronaldinho is very experienced. He has been through a lot in his career and is used to criticism. He is an idol and has his ups and downs. The life of a star is always like that, that`s why there are so few."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow