Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras
Rio de Janeiro : Flamengo has threatened to sue Palmeiras for $160 million if Ronaldinho signs with the rival Brazilian club.
Flamengo officials claimed Friday they had evidence Palmeiras negotiated with the former Barcelona and AC Milan star before he sought a court injunction to end his contract with the Rio club.
Flamengo president Patricia Amorim wrote to Palmeiras accusing the club of inducing the termination of Ronaldinho`s contract, considered a serious offence by Brazil`s football confederation, reports said.
Palmeiras, managed by Brazil`s 2002 World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, angrily rejected the accusations.
"I vehemently refute this type of accusation because Palmeiras never negotiates with a player contracted to another club," Palmeiras` legal spokesman Piraci Oliveira said.
Ronaldinho, a two-time FIFA world player of the year, is suing Flamengo for $20 million for unpaid salaries and delayed payments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi