Fluminense sack coach Braga
Rio de Janeiro: Abel Braga has been sacked as football coach of Fluminense, eight months after leading the Rio de Janeiro side to the Campeonato Brasileiro title.
Fluminense officials confirmed the decision on Monday, following the club`s fifth consecutive loss against Gremio on Sunday, reports Xinhua.
"This year things have not gone the way we would have liked and we think it`s best to make a change," Fluminense president Peter Siemsen said at a press conference.
Siemsen said he hoped to announce Braga`s replacement ahead of the club`s clash with Cruzeiro at the Maracana stadium on Wednesday.
Braga admitted that despite having won the Brasileirao for the third time in the club`s history last December, his performance in 2013 had not been satisfactory.
"If I was a director of the club, I would also make the change," the 60-year-old said.
"That is our culture, you need results or you don`t last. I was here for 26 months, which is rare in Brazilian football. But without doubt it was time for a change."
Among those touted as possible replacements are former Real Madrid and Brazil boss Vanderlei Luxemburgo and Ney Franco, sacked earlier this month as coach of Sao Paulo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends