Fluminense spared relegation
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s struggling soccer giants Fluminense have been spared relegation to second division Serie B after rivals Portuguesa were docked four points for fielding an ineligible player.
Monday`s decision by Brazil`s superior sports tribunal (STJD) left Portuguesa 17th in the league standings with 44 points, two fewer than Fluminense, reports Xinhua.
Under Campeonato Brasileiro rules, the bottom four sides in the 20-team Serie A are demoted to the second division.
In a unanimous verdict, an STJD disciplinary committee found Portuguesa guilty of breaching article 214 of Brazil`s sport`s justice code.
The decision related to the introduction of suspended midfielder Heverton during the second half of Portuguesa`s 0-0 draw with Gremio, Dec 8.
Officials from the Sao Paulo-based club said they had been unaware of Heverton`s ineligibility and vowed to appeal the decision.
"We are going to do all that we can. We are going to fight this," Portuguesa president Manuel da Lupa said.
Fluminense, winners of Brazil`s top flight in 2010 and 2012, have been relegated only once to the country`s second tier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!