Football fans must purge hooligans: Medvedev
Moscow: Football fan groups must "purge" hooligans from their ranks, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
The Russian government is trying to pass tougher anti-hooliganism measures in the wake of several high-profile violent incidents at matches, and Medvedev Thursday called for life bans for convicted hooligans.
"The task of purging is for the fan associations themselves, not for the state," he said.
"The state won`t filter them and say: `You know, this one here`s a nasty one and we won`t let him in anywhere, but this one`s kind and good.` The fans themselves should get around to this."
Medvedev said his earlier comments on life bans had been criticized as heavy-handed by some fan leaders but that he stood by the principle of keeping hooligans away from sports events.
"If someone has committed a crime in the stadium, then in that case the state has the right, and is obliged to, ban him from going to the stadium for a long time," he said.
"Come out of prison, watch it at home please."
Proposals on banning convicted fans are being prepared by the Cabinet, he added.
The issue of football violence was thrust to the fore last month when a flare thrown from the stands left Dynamo Moscow`s goalkeeper Anton Shunin with eye injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- David Cameron's successor - Britain's next Prime Minister: Who, how and when?
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics