Football: Ibrahimovic shines as PSG continue to cruise
Paris: Zlatan Ibrahimovic was at his enigmatic best as champions Paris Saint-Germain continued their inexorable march towards retaining the Ligue 1 title with a 3-0 win at Bastia on Saturday.
The big Swedish forward scored the opening goal and then set up Ezequiel Lavezzi for the second with an outrageous back-flick.
He also teed up the diminutive Argentine for the killer third two minutes from time with a headed flick-on.
The result briefly sent PSG 11 points clear of their only remaining potential title rivals Monaco, who then brought the gap back to eight points with a 2-1 home win over lowly Sochaux later on Saturday.
This was the fifth straight win for Laurent Blanc`s PSG team since a 1-1 draw at Monaco in the league in early February and the team have racked up 16 goals in that period.
"Our aim is to win matches, if that allows us to stretch out the gap we`d be delighted," said Blanc.
"There is one team hanging on, Monaco, and if they win they`ll come back to eight points (behind).
"That`s a lot but they`re also having a good campaign. We have to take heed, everyone can go through a sticky patch."
Deprived of record-signing Edinson Cavani, held over in Uruguay for personal reasons, they even could afford the luxury of keeping centre-back Thiago Silva on the bench throughout the game ahead of Wednesday`s Champions League last 16 second leg tie with Bayer Leverkusen.
Although that tie looks to be nothing more than a formality having already won the away leg 4-0.
"Winning matches is always the best preparation," said Blanc looking forward to the Leverkusen clash.
"This week was a little complicated to prepare the trip (to Bastia) with internationals all over the place.
"But we can be sure that whatever team we pick, mentally they will be ready."
Ibrahimovic opened the scoring on six minutes after a bright opening from the visitors in Corsica.
Brazilian Lucas Moura made the most of the start Cavani`s absence afforded him to cross from the right for Ibrahimovic to leap high above his marker and use the strength to direct a bullet header into the top corner despite stretching for the ball.
On 19 minutes he turned provider with the kind of genius only Ibrahimovic, in this league, is capable of, picking out Lavezzi with a back-heeled, volleyed pass despite looking the other way.
The Argentine outpaced the defence and nonchalantly prodded the ball past goalkeeper Jean-Louis Leca.
And Lavezzi was the beneficiary once again from Ibrahimovic`s instinctive vision, although centre-back Sebastien Squillaci was partly to blame for failing to cut out the Swede`s flick-on, while Leca`s ill-advised rush from his line also helped make the Argentine`s job easier.
Former Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov opened his Monaco account following his January transfer window move to the Principality after just six minutes as he slotted home at the back post from Layvin Kurzawa`s cross.
And it was the Bulgarian who won the penalty from which Colombian James Rodriguez doubled Monaco`s advantage on 55 minutes.
Edouard Butin headed home a consolation seven minutes from time for Sochaux, for whom Jordan Ayew was shown a red card for a wild lunge late on.
Corsicans Ajaccio remain bottom after a 2-2 draw at Nantes and are now 15 points from safety following Evian`s 1-0 win at Guingamp.
Toulouse moved into the top half after three goals in the final 15 minutes gave them a come-from-behind 3-2 win at home to Reims.
On Friday night, Marseille`s hopes of snatching the third and final Champions League qualifying berth were dented by their third defeat this season to Cote d`Azur rivals Nice.
Valentin Eysseric scored the only goal of the game with a free-kick midway through the second half at the Stade Velodrome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday