Football should be played at Eden Gardens: Mohun Bagan
Kolkata: Reacting to the poor turnout for the high-profile derby match at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan, Mohun Bagan general secretary Anjan Mitra said football should be played at the iconic Eden Gardens which has better infrastructure.
However the reason given by Mitra is both hilarious as well as illogical.
"Eden Gardens was originally for football. And it should be played at Eden Gardens, while cricket should be played in stadium like Yuba Bharati Krirangan," Mitra said.
Earlier, both football and cricket matches were played at the Eden Gardens.
"Compared to the huge 120,000 capacity of the stadium, the infrastructure is poor and really unscientific. If the stadium is full, then it would only add to the spectators` discomfort."
With Mohun Bagan increasing the base ticket price to Rs 200 from the earlier Rs 50-odd, less than 30,000 crowd turned out for the return leg Mohun Bagan-East Bengal I-League fixture.
But Mitra said price of the ticket was not a factor and added the turnout was good in I-League standards.
"We wanted to give the spectators proper comfort. Everybody is happy, including the match commissioner and there was proper security arrangement. The turnout was pretty good as per the standards of other football matches being held in the I-League."
Sports minister Madan Mitra, however, felt that the tickets were overpriced.
"The next time we would appeal to make it in the range of Rs 50-100," he said talking to the reporters.
He expressed satisfaction with the security arrangement and the conduct of the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand