Football will be Goa`s official sport: Parrikar
Panaji: Football-crazy Goa has taken the sport to a new pitch altogether.
Presenting his first budget after coming to power, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar proposed that football will be declared as the official sport of Goa.
"I propose that football be made the official sport of Goa," Parrikar said.
"A Goa state football development council will be set up under the chairmanship of renowned cardiologist Rufino Monteiro, who is also a football enthusiast. A grant of Rs.5 crore has been set aside and, if required, additional grants will be provided," Parrikar said.
Goa has several football clubs like Dempo Sports Club, Salgaocar Sports Club, and Churchill Brothers, which have made it to the top of the national football league consistently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins, party's Mumbai unit chief Ashish Shelar's brother loses