Football will be Goa`s official sport: Parrikar
Panaji: Football-crazy Goa has taken the sport to a new pitch altogether.
Presenting his first budget after coming to power, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar proposed that football will be declared as the official sport of Goa.
"I propose that football be made the official sport of Goa," Parrikar said.
"A Goa state football development council will be set up under the chairmanship of renowned cardiologist Rufino Monteiro, who is also a football enthusiast. A grant of Rs.5 crore has been set aside and, if required, additional grants will be provided," Parrikar said.
Goa has several football clubs like Dempo Sports Club, Salgaocar Sports Club, and Churchill Brothers, which have made it to the top of the national football league consistently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional