Football’s new goal-line technology to be tested during England-Belgium friendly
London: The much talked about goal-line technology in football would be put to test in an international friendly between England and Belgium at Wembley on June 2.
Independent testers will use Hawk-Eye, a camera-based system, during England`s final game before Euro 2012.
However, match officials will have no access to the data, and the tests will have no impact on any contentious goal-line decisions during the match.
The first live test of Hawk-Eye`s system was conducted earlier this month during the Hampshire Senior Cup final.
There has been increase in calls for utilizing the goal-line technology with number of dodgy decisions marring a number of high profile games last season.
The FIFA, the Football Association and Hawk-Eye have discussed for weeks over the goal-line technology, and the extensive discussions have resulted in an England international match being selected for goal-line technology trial.
FIFA’s independent appointed testing body, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology (EMPA) would conduct more tests after England-Belgium friendly.
The six cameras per goal that Hawk-Eye requires are expected to be installed at Wembley over the course of the next week.
In March, football`s lawmakers the International Football Association Board (IFAB) approved two companies Hawk-Eye and GoalRef to take part in the second phase of goal line technology testing.
IFAB are due to make a final decision on the introduction of goal-line technology in early July.
GoalRef is also currently undergoing tests, with Denmark`s friendly against Australia in Copenhagen is under consideration for a live test.
Both systems are expected to gain approval barring any last-minute problems, and if that happens, any league or competition will be free to introduce the systems if they wish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- African nationals targetted: Delhi cops arrest five persons, detain four others
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!
- Celebs slam AIB's Tanmay Bhat for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar! – Details inside