Forlan`s double sees off Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan scored two first-half goals to help International beat reigning champions Fluminense 3-2 in Brazil`s Serie A football championship.
Argentine winger Andres D`Alessandro struck in the 19th minute in Macae with an angled shot past Diego Cavalieri after a precise Forlan pass on the counterattack Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Forlan then fired in from the edge of the area following a failed clearance from Fluminense defender Gum before Carlinhos headed in a Rafael Sobis free-kick to make it 2-1.
Cavalieri gifted Forlan his second goal when the Uruguayan`s corner kick slipped through his hands on the stroke of halftime.
Brazil international striker Fred gave his side hope by toe-poking in after a goalmouth scramble but Internacional withstood a late Fluminense charge to move into second place in the Brasileirao standings.
Meanwhile, a Neilton double helped Santos rise to fourth spot with a 4-1 victory over Portuguesa at Vila Belmiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round
- Rio Olympics 2016: Five Indian athletes who redefined 'woman power'