Forlan`s double sees off Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan scored two first-half goals to help International beat reigning champions Fluminense 3-2 in Brazil`s Serie A football championship.
Argentine winger Andres D`Alessandro struck in the 19th minute in Macae with an angled shot past Diego Cavalieri after a precise Forlan pass on the counterattack Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Forlan then fired in from the edge of the area following a failed clearance from Fluminense defender Gum before Carlinhos headed in a Rafael Sobis free-kick to make it 2-1.
Cavalieri gifted Forlan his second goal when the Uruguayan`s corner kick slipped through his hands on the stroke of halftime.
Brazil international striker Fred gave his side hope by toe-poking in after a goalmouth scramble but Internacional withstood a late Fluminense charge to move into second place in the Brasileirao standings.
Meanwhile, a Neilton double helped Santos rise to fourth spot with a 4-1 victory over Portuguesa at Vila Belmiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US