Forlan`s double sees off Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan scored two first-half goals to help International beat reigning champions Fluminense 3-2 in Brazil`s Serie A football championship.
Argentine winger Andres D`Alessandro struck in the 19th minute in Macae with an angled shot past Diego Cavalieri after a precise Forlan pass on the counterattack Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Forlan then fired in from the edge of the area following a failed clearance from Fluminense defender Gum before Carlinhos headed in a Rafael Sobis free-kick to make it 2-1.
Cavalieri gifted Forlan his second goal when the Uruguayan`s corner kick slipped through his hands on the stroke of halftime.
Brazil international striker Fred gave his side hope by toe-poking in after a goalmouth scramble but Internacional withstood a late Fluminense charge to move into second place in the Brasileirao standings.
Meanwhile, a Neilton double helped Santos rise to fourth spot with a 4-1 victory over Portuguesa at Vila Belmiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- See pic: NASA releases updated global map of Pluto!
- PM Narendra Modi launches 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana' on Labour Day, calls himself no. 1 labourer of India
- La Liga 2015-16: Barcelona beat Betis to remain top, Atletico, Real keep up pressure
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls California protesters 'thugs, criminals'
- Arvind Kejriwal questions PM Narendra Modi's qualification, report claims he scored 62.3% in MA