Forlan`s double sees off Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan scored two first-half goals to help International beat reigning champions Fluminense 3-2 in Brazil`s Serie A football championship.
Argentine winger Andres D`Alessandro struck in the 19th minute in Macae with an angled shot past Diego Cavalieri after a precise Forlan pass on the counterattack Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Forlan then fired in from the edge of the area following a failed clearance from Fluminense defender Gum before Carlinhos headed in a Rafael Sobis free-kick to make it 2-1.
Cavalieri gifted Forlan his second goal when the Uruguayan`s corner kick slipped through his hands on the stroke of halftime.
Brazil international striker Fred gave his side hope by toe-poking in after a goalmouth scramble but Internacional withstood a late Fluminense charge to move into second place in the Brasileirao standings.
Meanwhile, a Neilton double helped Santos rise to fourth spot with a 4-1 victory over Portuguesa at Vila Belmiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites