Forlan`s double sees off Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan scored two first-half goals to help International beat reigning champions Fluminense 3-2 in Brazil`s Serie A football championship.
Argentine winger Andres D`Alessandro struck in the 19th minute in Macae with an angled shot past Diego Cavalieri after a precise Forlan pass on the counterattack Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Forlan then fired in from the edge of the area following a failed clearance from Fluminense defender Gum before Carlinhos headed in a Rafael Sobis free-kick to make it 2-1.
Cavalieri gifted Forlan his second goal when the Uruguayan`s corner kick slipped through his hands on the stroke of halftime.
Brazil international striker Fred gave his side hope by toe-poking in after a goalmouth scramble but Internacional withstood a late Fluminense charge to move into second place in the Brasileirao standings.
Meanwhile, a Neilton double helped Santos rise to fourth spot with a 4-1 victory over Portuguesa at Vila Belmiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says