Forlan scores as Uruguay beat Nigeria 2-1 in Confederations Cup
Salvador: Diego Forlan marked his 100th international appearance with a magnificent winning goal as Uruguay closed on the Confederations Cup semi-finals by beating chief Group B rivals Nigeria 2-1 in Salvador.
The 34-year-old completed a sweeping move in the 51st minute on Thursday to score his 34th international goal, enabling him to reclaim the national scoring record from teammate Luis Suarez, who had equalled it in the 2-1 loss to Spain.
Captain Diego Lugano bundled Uruguay ahead in the 19th minute, only for Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi to equalise for Nigeria with a skilfully taken goal eight minutes before half-time.
Victory means group leaders Spain, who thrashed minnows Tahiti 10-0 earlier in the day, must wait to confirm their place in the semi-finals.
Nigeria and Uruguay will go into Sunday`s final group fixtures level on three points, but while Oscar Tabarez`s Uruguay are practically assured of victory over Tahiti, Stephen Keshi`s Nigeria are obliged to tackle the mighty Spain.
"We`re very satisfied. Ever since the draw, we knew this match was the most important match to play and we`ve made a huge step towards the semi-finals," said Uruguay coach Tabarez.
"We`ve not reached the semi-finals yet, but I think we`re on the way."
Nigeria coach Keshi blamed the result on a lack of concentration that left Forlan unmarked for the decisive goal.
"I think my players played well and played to instructions," he said. "It was just one minute`s lack of concentration that made the difference. Otherwise it was good."
Nigeria enjoyed the lion`s share of support from a meagre crowd, who made their way to Arena Fonte Nova despite widespread protests in Salvador over the alleged misallocation of government funds, but it was Uruguay who made the early running.
Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama had to turn a rising strike from Cristian Rodriguez over the bar in the first minute, and despite a brief flurry of Nigerian attacks, it was Uruguay who broke the deadlock.
Forlan`s left-wing corner was cleared back to him and although his low cross lacked power and Edinson Cavani failed with an attempted back-heel at the near post, Lugano was on hand to scuff the ball home.
Nigeria continued to press forward boldly, however, and in the 37th minute they equalised with a delightful goal.
Mikel has only scored two goals in seven seasons for Chelsea, but he showed a striker`s instincts to evade Lugano with a subtle feint before stroking a left-foot shot into the top-left corner.
Nnamdi Oduamadi, who claimed a hat-trick in Nigeria`s 6-1 rout of Tahiti, had to go off injured after a foul by Egidio Arevalo Rios, but the African champions finished the half strongly.
It would have been 2-0 at the interval had Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera not shown sharp reflexes to tip over a header from his own defender Diego Godin that seemed destined to drop beneath the bar.
Nigeria began the second period just as gamely, but six minutes in, Forlan struck with a goal of luminous quality involving all three of Uruguay`s attacking stars.
Suarez advanced down the inside-right channel and knocked the ball inside to Cavani, who immediately swept a pass wide to Forlan, and the man of the hour watched the ball come across him before bludgeoning an emphatic left-foot shot past Enyeama.
Cavani should have twice stretched Uruguay`s lead, blazing wastefully over when clean through in the 70th minute and then heading off-target from a Forlan free-kick, but Nigeria were unable to profit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!