Former Barca boss Vilanova has emergency surgery: Media
Barcelona: Former Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, who is battling throat cancer, has undergone emergency surgery, Spanish media reported on Thursday.
Vilanova has been battling cancer for over two years and was forced to step down as Barca boss last July.
Spanish National Radio reported that Vilanova was admitted to hospital last Friday and is in serious condition following the surgery to alleviate gastric problems.
Vilanova was Pep Guardiola`s assistant during a glorious four-year spell for Barcelona between 2008 and 2012 during which the club won 14 trophies.
The 45-year-old replaced Guardiola at the start of the 2012/13 season, but was forced to take four months away from the job between December 2012 and April 2013 to undergo treatment in the United States after suffering a recurrence of the throat cancer which had been first diagnosed in November 2011.
Barca went onto win the Spanish La Liga title, equalling the record points tally, in his only season in charge before he resigned due to his ongoing health problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list