Former Barca boss Vilanova has emergency surgery: Media
Barcelona: Former Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, who is battling throat cancer, has undergone emergency surgery, Spanish media reported on Thursday.
Vilanova has been battling cancer for over two years and was forced to step down as Barca boss last July.
Spanish National Radio reported that Vilanova was admitted to hospital last Friday and is in serious condition following the surgery to alleviate gastric problems.
Vilanova was Pep Guardiola`s assistant during a glorious four-year spell for Barcelona between 2008 and 2012 during which the club won 14 trophies.
The 45-year-old replaced Guardiola at the start of the 2012/13 season, but was forced to take four months away from the job between December 2012 and April 2013 to undergo treatment in the United States after suffering a recurrence of the throat cancer which had been first diagnosed in November 2011.
Barca went onto win the Spanish La Liga title, equalling the record points tally, in his only season in charge before he resigned due to his ongoing health problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report