Former Barca boss Vilanova has emergency surgery: Media
Barcelona: Former Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, who is battling throat cancer, has undergone emergency surgery, Spanish media reported on Thursday.
Vilanova has been battling cancer for over two years and was forced to step down as Barca boss last July.
Spanish National Radio reported that Vilanova was admitted to hospital last Friday and is in serious condition following the surgery to alleviate gastric problems.
Vilanova was Pep Guardiola`s assistant during a glorious four-year spell for Barcelona between 2008 and 2012 during which the club won 14 trophies.
The 45-year-old replaced Guardiola at the start of the 2012/13 season, but was forced to take four months away from the job between December 2012 and April 2013 to undergo treatment in the United States after suffering a recurrence of the throat cancer which had been first diagnosed in November 2011.
Barca went onto win the Spanish La Liga title, equalling the record points tally, in his only season in charge before he resigned due to his ongoing health problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?