Former Brazil captain Socrates in intensive care
Sao Paulo: Former Brazil captain Socrates was back in intensive care in a Sao Paulo hospital on Saturday with an intestinal problem and on a life support machine.
According to a medical bulletin at the Albert Einstein Israeli Hospital, the 57-year-old has a serious infection that has spread to his blood stream and septic shock. He was also receiving dialysis treatment, the hospital added.
It is his third time in hospital since August when he spent nine days there due to a digestive haemorrhage and admitted he drank heavily.
Socrates, who played for Brazil as a midfielder at the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, spent another 17 days in the hospital in September with liver trouble.
A qualified doctor, he sprung to fame at Corinthians in the early 1980s on and off the field with radical political beliefs including seeking a greater voice for players in club decisions.
The bearded, lanky Socrates, known by his nickname "Magrao" (Big Skinny), was not a strong player but he had elegance and technique and became famous for his backheels.
He is still regarded as one of Corinthians greatest players and helped the club from Sao Paulo win the state championship in 1979, 1982 and 1983.
He captained the brilliant 1982 Brazilian side, regarded by many as the best not to win the World Cup after they failed to advance past the second round.
He missed a penalty in Brazil`s shootout loss to France in the quarter-finals at the 1986 finals in Mexico.
After he retired from playing he practised as a doctor and also worked as a media pundit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday