Former Brazil striker Fernandao dies in air crash
Rio De Janeiro: Former Brazil striker Fernandao has died in a helicopter crash in Brazil.
The 36-year-old and four friends were killed Saturday when the aircraft crashed in Aruana, about 500 km northwest of the capital Brasilia, Xinhua reported.
Fernandao`s career included spells with French Ligue 1 clubs Marseille and Toulouse. But it was his time with Porto Alegre`s Internacional most remembered by Brazilians.
The 190 cm forward scored 42 goals from 100 appearances for the club and helped them win the 2006 Copa Libertadores, South America`s premier club competition.
Brazil striker Fred was among those to pay tribute to Fernandao, with whom he played for Brazil against Guatemala in 2005.
"This is a sad day for all Brazilians," Fred posted on Twitter, alongside a photo of his late former teammate.
Clinton embarks on book tour -or is it campaign trail?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi