Former Portugal striker Liedson joins Flamengo
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal striker Liedson has signed a deal with Brazilian Serie A club Flamengo until the end of the 2013 season.
Liedson`s management company Think Ball & Sports Consulting confirmed an agreement had been reached between club and player on its Twitter account Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The signing comes just days after Liedson was released by Flamengo`s rivals Corinthians, who told the player he was excess to the club`s needs.
Flamengo is awaiting the results of a routine medical examination before officially announcing the deal.
Liedson`s new teammate Leo Moura said the 34-year-old would be made to feel at home at the Rio de Janeiro club.
"He is a quality player who has been successful at every team he has played with," Moura said. "He`s going to be welcomed here with open arms by everybody."
Liedson played 14 games for Portugal and scored four goals between 2009 and 2010.
He was considered one of the most consistent strikers in Portugal`s top-flight during an eight-year spell with Sporting Lisbon where he scored 116 goals from 214 matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire