Former Portugal striker Liedson joins Flamengo
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal striker Liedson has signed a deal with Brazilian Serie A club Flamengo until the end of the 2013 season.
Liedson`s management company Think Ball & Sports Consulting confirmed an agreement had been reached between club and player on its Twitter account Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The signing comes just days after Liedson was released by Flamengo`s rivals Corinthians, who told the player he was excess to the club`s needs.
Flamengo is awaiting the results of a routine medical examination before officially announcing the deal.
Liedson`s new teammate Leo Moura said the 34-year-old would be made to feel at home at the Rio de Janeiro club.
"He is a quality player who has been successful at every team he has played with," Moura said. "He`s going to be welcomed here with open arms by everybody."
Liedson played 14 games for Portugal and scored four goals between 2009 and 2010.
He was considered one of the most consistent strikers in Portugal`s top-flight during an eight-year spell with Sporting Lisbon where he scored 116 goals from 214 matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!
- Protests over 'sacrilegious act' in Jammu, case registered