Former Portugal striker Liedson joins Flamengo
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal striker Liedson has signed a deal with Brazilian Serie A club Flamengo until the end of the 2013 season.
Liedson`s management company Think Ball & Sports Consulting confirmed an agreement had been reached between club and player on its Twitter account Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The signing comes just days after Liedson was released by Flamengo`s rivals Corinthians, who told the player he was excess to the club`s needs.
Flamengo is awaiting the results of a routine medical examination before officially announcing the deal.
Liedson`s new teammate Leo Moura said the 34-year-old would be made to feel at home at the Rio de Janeiro club.
"He is a quality player who has been successful at every team he has played with," Moura said. "He`s going to be welcomed here with open arms by everybody."
Liedson played 14 games for Portugal and scored four goals between 2009 and 2010.
He was considered one of the most consistent strikers in Portugal`s top-flight during an eight-year spell with Sporting Lisbon where he scored 116 goals from 214 matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II