Former Rangers star Redford dies, aged 53
Former Glasgow Rangers star Ian Redford, who was once Scotland`s most expensive player, died on Friday at the age of 53.
Redford started his career with Dundee before joining Rangers for a then Scottish record fee of £210,000 (USD 345,891; 253,191 euros) in 1980.
He was found dead in Irvine, Ayrshire and it is understood there are no suspicious circumstances.
A police spokeswoman said: "Around 11.15am today police received a report of a man`s body being found within a wooded area near to Long Drive in Irvine.
"A post mortem examination will be carried out in due course to establish the exact cause of death."
Redford left Rangers to join Dundee United in 1985 and the midfielder played in their UEFA Cup Final defeat against IFK Gothenburg in 1987.
He also played with Ipswich, St Johnstone, Brechin and Raith Rovers in a career that lasted almost 20 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed