Former Rangers star Redford dies, aged 53
Former Glasgow Rangers star Ian Redford, who was once Scotland`s most expensive player, died on Friday at the age of 53.
Redford started his career with Dundee before joining Rangers for a then Scottish record fee of £210,000 (USD 345,891; 253,191 euros) in 1980.
He was found dead in Irvine, Ayrshire and it is understood there are no suspicious circumstances.
A police spokeswoman said: "Around 11.15am today police received a report of a man`s body being found within a wooded area near to Long Drive in Irvine.
"A post mortem examination will be carried out in due course to establish the exact cause of death."
Redford left Rangers to join Dundee United in 1985 and the midfielder played in their UEFA Cup Final defeat against IFK Gothenburg in 1987.
He also played with Ipswich, St Johnstone, Brechin and Raith Rovers in a career that lasted almost 20 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you