Four-star Stoke leapfrog Villa
Stoke City came from a goal behind to beat Aston Villa 4-1 on Sunday and so leapfrog their opponents into 10th place in the Premier League table.
Christian Benteke`s early goal put the hosts 1-0 up early on at Villa Park but Stoke were 3-1 ahead at half-time after Peter Odemwingie, Peter Crouch and Steven Nzonzi all scored for the visitors.
After the break, Geoff Cameron set the seal on a comprehensive win for Mark Hughes` men by adding a fourth goal in the final minute of normal time.
Victory put Stoke on 37 points, just three short of the 40-point mark that usually assures a team of Premier League survival.
It took Paul Lambert`s Villa side just five minutes to open the scoring in front of the Birmingham club`s own fans.
Fabian Delph broke free on the left before cutting the ball back to Benteke on the penalty spot. The Belgium forward, given time and space, powered the ball into the roof of the net with his left foot.
But two goals in five minutes saw Stoke turn the match on its head.
Towering England forward Crouch headed the ball perfectly into the path of strike partner Odemwingie and the former West Bromwich Albion forward burst between two defenders before stabbing the ball under advancing Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan in the 22nd minute.
Barely had Villa absorbed the impact of the equaliser then Stoke were ahead.
Erik Pieters held off Andreas Weimann down the left and sprinted clear before crossing to the waiting Crouch and the former Villa forward side-footed the ball into the corner.
Stoke, belying their reputation as a `long-ball` team, then kept possession for an extended spell but, significantly, there was a tangible result to their neat play when Nzonzi scored their third goal three minutes before half-time.
Marko Arnautovic`s through ball from the left did not look that dangerous but Villa`s Nathan Baker failed to make proper contact and N`Zonzi`s powerful shot from the edge of the box gave Guzan little chance.
The second half didn`t live up to the excitement of the opening period but, in the 64th minute, Stoke almost scored again when Odemwingie unleashed a powerful, swerving, shot from 20 yards which Guzan, changing direction, did well to parry.
But the fourth goal Stoke had been threatening arrived in the 90th minute when more impressive wing play from Arnautovic saw the Austrian cut the ball back to Cameron, who scored from 10 yards out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow