Four Zambian players cleared of match-fixing
Lusaka: Football authorities in Zambia have cleared four players who had been convicted of match-fixing in Finland so that they can start playing in the local league.
On April 3, 2011, the Finland Football Federation convicted nine Zambian players for match-fixing and banned them from all football activities. Three of the players served their six-to-eight-month sentences while FIFA extended the sentences on the other six players which expired April 5 this year.
Erick Mwanza, the Football Association of Zambia spokesperson, said the four players have been cleared and will be able to feature for their local clubs during this weekend`s league games.
The spokesperson said the process of recalling the international transfer certificates from Finland had reached the final phase, adding that after 30 days of requesting for international transfer certificates, the players will be granted playing licenses so that they can play in the local league.
‘I think the four players will more likely play at the weekend because we are in the final phase of giving them playing certificates in line with FIFA systems and statutes,’ he said.
The four players, Francis Kombe, Dominic Yobe, Christopher Musonda and Nchimunya Mweetwa, are currently playing for Napsa Stars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway