Four Zambian players cleared of match-fixing
Lusaka: Football authorities in Zambia have cleared four players who had been convicted of match-fixing in Finland so that they can start playing in the local league.
On April 3, 2011, the Finland Football Federation convicted nine Zambian players for match-fixing and banned them from all football activities. Three of the players served their six-to-eight-month sentences while FIFA extended the sentences on the other six players which expired April 5 this year.
Erick Mwanza, the Football Association of Zambia spokesperson, said the four players have been cleared and will be able to feature for their local clubs during this weekend`s league games.
The spokesperson said the process of recalling the international transfer certificates from Finland had reached the final phase, adding that after 30 days of requesting for international transfer certificates, the players will be granted playing licenses so that they can play in the local league.
‘I think the four players will more likely play at the weekend because we are in the final phase of giving them playing certificates in line with FIFA systems and statutes,’ he said.
The four players, Francis Kombe, Dominic Yobe, Christopher Musonda and Nchimunya Mweetwa, are currently playing for Napsa Stars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes