France`s World Cup hopes dented by goalless draw
Georgia: France`s chances of qualifying directly for the 2014 World Cup finals were left hanging by a thread following a goalless draw in Georgia on Friday.
Les Bleus remain second in Group I with 11 points from six games, trailing leaders Spain, who beat Finland 2-0, by three points.
With two games left, France look as if they will have to settle for a second-place finish and attempt to qualify for the showpiece tournament in Brazil via the playoffs.
Karim Benzema was in the starting 11 but once again failed to find the back of the net and has now gone more than 20 hours, and 15 games, without scoring for France.
Georgia stay second from bottom on five points.
France, who have not scored in their last five matches, next face Belarus away on Tuesday.
They will need to show more of the form that made them world champions in 1998 if they are to avoid another embarrassing result.
"We did a lot of things, we had opportunities in the end, but we failed to score," France coach Didier Deschamps told French TV channel M6.
"They also had a chance when they hit the post. At the end of the day if you want to win you need to score. It`s not the result we came for."
Midfielder Franck Ribery, who was a pale shadow of his brilliant self, added: "It`s a pity because we had the opportunities in the second half. We can be disappointed tonight."
Benzema`s last goal came in a 4-0 friendly win against Estonia in June 2012 and it never looked like the Real Madrid striker would find the back of the net in Tbilisi.
Deschamps`s side dominated possession as Georgia looked perfectly happy to sit back and wait but the visitors were too shy in the box.
Ribery`s crossed shot from the edge of the area shaved Giorgi Loria`s right post in the 12th minute. Benzema`s best effort came in the 29th minute, when his weak shot was easily blocked by Loria.
Georgia came closest early in the second half when Tornike Okriashvili`s low shot from close range hit the post.
France, however, almost managed to pull it off in added time, but Loria parried away Olivier Giroud and Bacary Sagna`s headers in quick succession in impressive fashion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi