France U20 boss delight at World Cup win
Istanbul: France Under-20 boss Pierre Mankowski has declared his delight after his side triumphed over Uruguay Under-20s in the World Cup final on Saturday.
The tie finished 0-0 after extra-time but les Bleuets were able to put the South American side to the sword on penalties 4-1 to claim the Fifa trophy.
Mankowski was thrilled for the success of his young footballers and insisted that he had believed they could win the tournament from the start.
"We are very pleased, the team are incredibly happy," Mankowski told reporters following the victory. "It`s pretty great for French football.
"I`ve always said that with this squad we had a good chance. Frankly, I believed from the beginning.".
Mankowski thinks that the win is down to a team effort from the squad, the coaching team and the supporters to triumph in Istanbul.
"This win is not for me but for all the set-up," he added. "It is six weeks we`ve been together, they all worked like crazy.
"Everyone got into the spirit, we are very happy together but this is for the 21 players, the staff, the fans. We feel that there are many people behind this team. This was magical. This is a beautiful title - being world champions is the ultimate accolade but all titles are beautiful."
France U20s finished second behind Spain in Group A then beat hosts Turkey 4-1 in the last 16, underdogs Uzbekistan 4-0 in the quarter-finals and then Ghana - who qualified from the same group as les Bleuets - 2-1 in the semis to reach the climax on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown