France will sacrifice World Cup bonuses but not others
France :France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris agreed on Friday the national team did not deserve their World Cup bonuses but said they were not ready to give up their money from previous matches.
"We never changed our minds," Lloris told a news conference ahead of Olympique Lyon`s Ligue 1 match at home to Nice.
"We were asked to give away our bonuses for the whole 2009-2010 season. We thought it should only be about the World Cup. Everyone agreed."
After their shock first-round exit at the World Cup in South Africa, the players promised they would give up an estimated two million euros ($2.78 million) in bonuses, their share of sponsorship revenue which is unrelated to performance.
The federation had decided to divide the money between various charities and amateur football clubs.
"I think there was a misunderstanding. It is a shame because we do not really need that at the moment", Lloris said.
"The situation is clear. Considering the World Cup we did, there is no way we deserve any bonus.
"All the players realise we failed during the World Cup and gave a negative image, and so we all wanted to give away those bonuses to charity."
France`s World Cup performance was also marred by a player`s strike organised in protest at the decision to kick out Nicolas Anelka.
The federation is also locked in a battle with former France coach Raymond Domenech who is seeking 2.9 million euros ($4.07 million) in compensation for unfair dismissal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe