Frankfurt, Augsburg share spoils in Bundesliga
Berlin: Frankfurt` s Jan Rosenthal scored the equaliser to ensure at least one point against a courageous Augsburg on home soil in the 17th round of Bundesliga Football.
Frankfurt finished the first half of the campaign without a win on home soil as Augsburg`s extended their unbeaten run to five matches Friday, reports Xinhua.
The visitors from Bavaria opened the scoring through Raul Bobadilla but the hosts restored parity just before the break by courtesy of Jan Rosenthal. Thus, Frankfurt stay at the edge of the drop zone with only 15 point out of 17 games. Meanwhile Augsburg remain on 8th position with 24 points.
From the kick-off, struggling Frankfurt tried hard to control the proceedings on the pitch but Augsburg`s well-positioned defence gave the hosts a hard fight.
Despite Frankfurt`s ball possession, Augsburg broke the deadlock out of the blue when Raul Bobadilla capitalized on a moment of madness by Primin Schwegler, whose clearance attempt inside the box evolved into an assist, to slot home from very close range at the 33rd minute.
Frankfurt responded with frenetic attacks to their deficit and their efforts were rewarded nine minutes later as Rosenthal made use of Joselu`s assist to hammer the equalizer from six metres into the top left corner.
Both sides were unable to hold the pace after the restart. Nonetheless Augsburg almost snatched the winner through joker Arkadiusz Milik but, the Polish international wasted the chance with only goalkeeper Kevin Trapp to beat with a weak shot on target.
"We struggled and failed to utilise our chances," Frankfurt`s director of sports Bruno Huebner said. "We had our opportunities to win the match but we can live with share of the spoils," Augsburg coach Markus Weinzierl said.
The following matches are scheduled for Sunday: Werder Bremen meet runner up Leverkusen, third placed Dortmund face Berlin, Freiburg see Hannover, Hamburg host Mainz, bottom side and newly promoted Braunschweig clash Hoffenehim and winless Nuremberg encounter Schalke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons