Fred ends goal drought
Rio de Janiero: Fluminense coach Cristovao Borges has hailed the return to form of Fred after the striker ended his goal drought with a brace in the Brazilian team`s 4-0 victory over Sport.
The 30-year-old was widely criticised after scoring just once in Brazil`s ill-fated 2014 World Cup campaign, reports Xinhua.
He entered the fixture with just two goals from eight matches in Brazil`s Serie A this season.
But he answered his critics with a goal in each half at the Maracana stadium as Fluminense consolidated fifth spot in Brazil`s top-flight standings.
"He is a very important player to us - an idol, a leader with a highly professional attitude. His teammates look up to him," Borges said Monday.
"We believe in him. He shouldered a lot of the blame during the World Cup. But after these two goals he has his confidence back."
Fred announced his international retirement after Brazil`s 1-7 World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire