Freiburg beat Hannover 3-1
Berlin: Max Kruse and Jonathan Schmid secured Freiburg their 12th win of the Bundesliga season to set the course for European competitions.
The victory on Friday increases Freiburg`s chances of a Champions League playoff spot as they remain on fifth to put fourth positioned Schalke under pressure. Hannover is out of the running for a European spot as they suffered their 12th loss to remain ninth.
Freiburg staged a better start as the visitors from Hannover needed some time to gain a foothold into the match. With 25 minutes into the match, the hosts broke the deadlock thanks to the own goal by Hannover defender Christian Schulz, who deflected a long cross into his own goal after his goalkeeper Ron Robert Zieler underestimated the cross by Jonathan Schmid.
Hannover responded 11 minutes later when Konstantin Rausch made use of Mame Biram Dioufs interception to chip the ball into an open goal. Freiburg remained unfazed and grabbed the lead again before the break as Max Kruse had all time and space to slot home into the bottom right from outside of the box just before the break.
With beginning of the second, half the hosts continued their offensively minded strategy but Hannover keeper Zieler denied Freiburg`s Schmid twice to extend the lead. In the 69th minute, Hannover had the golden chance to level the score but Diouf wasted the opportunity with a weak shot into the arms of Freiburg`s keeper Oliver Baumann.
Freiburg`s Schmid staged a better figure in front of the visitors’ goal when he made it 3-1 on the scoreboards in the 73rd minute to seal the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note