French PSG cancels celebrations after clashes
Paris: Newly crowned French Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-German (PSG) cancelled a championship celebrations with players on cruise on the Seine river scheduled Monday evening after clashes between fans and police escalated at the crowded Trocadero Plaza.
Tens of thousands of PSG supporters converged into the celebration platform in Trocadero in the evening, waiting to cheer their heroes, the PSG players who had just won the first French league title since 1994.
With nearly 800 riot policemen deployed to the scene, the fans were so excited that they celebrated by lighting flares, climbing scaffoldings and waving club flags on rooftops.
The clashes erupted when they threw stones and other objects towards riot police, while the police had to use tear gas to disperse the crowds. Some were wounded in the clashes and were sent to hospital immediately.
For security reasons, after receiving the trophy, the PSG shortened the celebration ceremony. No one gave speeches in the five-minute ceremony and the PSG very soon announced the cancellation of the cruise.
French BFMTV reports said that glasses of some shops and cars were also broken along the Paris`s iconic avenue, Les Champs Elysee.
The police prefecture confirmed that 30 people were wounded including three policemen and 21 were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!