French PSG cancels celebrations after clashes
Paris: Newly crowned French Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-German (PSG) cancelled a championship celebrations with players on cruise on the Seine river scheduled Monday evening after clashes between fans and police escalated at the crowded Trocadero Plaza.
Tens of thousands of PSG supporters converged into the celebration platform in Trocadero in the evening, waiting to cheer their heroes, the PSG players who had just won the first French league title since 1994.
With nearly 800 riot policemen deployed to the scene, the fans were so excited that they celebrated by lighting flares, climbing scaffoldings and waving club flags on rooftops.
The clashes erupted when they threw stones and other objects towards riot police, while the police had to use tear gas to disperse the crowds. Some were wounded in the clashes and were sent to hospital immediately.
For security reasons, after receiving the trophy, the PSG shortened the celebration ceremony. No one gave speeches in the five-minute ceremony and the PSG very soon announced the cancellation of the cruise.
French BFMTV reports said that glasses of some shops and cars were also broken along the Paris`s iconic avenue, Les Champs Elysee.
The police prefecture confirmed that 30 people were wounded including three policemen and 21 were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick