Fulham sign Mitroglou and Holtby, Senderos leaves
London: Fulham bought Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos Piraeus for an undisclosed fee on transfer deadline day on Friday and allowed Dimitar Berbatov to join Monaco on loan.
The Londoners also signed German midfielder Lewis Holtby on loan from Tottenham Hotspur while Switzerland defender Phillipe Senderos moved to Valencia on a permanent deal.
"The club is delighted to confirm the signing of Mitroglou," the Premier League`s second from bottom team said on their website (www.fulham.co.uk).
The Greek, known to Olympiakos fans as `Mitrogoal` and `Pistolero` (The Gunslinger), was with the Athens club for seven years and has given up the prospect of a Champions League tie against Manchester United next month to move to London.
"It was an amazing offer both for Kostas and the club and we wish him all the best in his career," said Olympiakos coach Michel.
"We expected to lose him at some point because of the great season he has had so far this year but not so soon."
Mitroglou signed a contract extension a month ago that committed him to Olympiakos until 2017.
He became the first Greek to bag a hat-trick in the Champions League with a treble at Anderlecht in October and has scored 21 goals in 23 appearances for club and country this season.
Berbatov netted four times in 18 league games this season for Fulham.
The 33-year-old Bulgarian has joined Ligue 1 title challengers Monaco to cover for Radamel Falcao`s long-term injury absence.
Holtby, 23, has moved to Fulham on loan for the rest of the season.
He joined Spurs from Schalke 04 in last year`s January transfer window but was unable to establish a regular place in the first team.
Holtby scored his only league goal with a spectacular long-range strike at Craven Cottage as Spurs won 2-1 at Fulham last month.
Fulham also said Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes had joined Championship club Queens Park Rangers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees