Fulham sign Mitroglou and Holtby, Senderos leaves
London: Fulham bought Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiakos Piraeus for an undisclosed fee on transfer deadline day on Friday and allowed Dimitar Berbatov to join Monaco on loan.
The Londoners also signed German midfielder Lewis Holtby on loan from Tottenham Hotspur while Switzerland defender Phillipe Senderos moved to Valencia on a permanent deal.
"The club is delighted to confirm the signing of Mitroglou," the Premier League`s second from bottom team said on their website (www.fulham.co.uk).
The Greek, known to Olympiakos fans as `Mitrogoal` and `Pistolero` (The Gunslinger), was with the Athens club for seven years and has given up the prospect of a Champions League tie against Manchester United next month to move to London.
"It was an amazing offer both for Kostas and the club and we wish him all the best in his career," said Olympiakos coach Michel.
"We expected to lose him at some point because of the great season he has had so far this year but not so soon."
Mitroglou signed a contract extension a month ago that committed him to Olympiakos until 2017.
He became the first Greek to bag a hat-trick in the Champions League with a treble at Anderlecht in October and has scored 21 goals in 23 appearances for club and country this season.
Berbatov netted four times in 18 league games this season for Fulham.
The 33-year-old Bulgarian has joined Ligue 1 title challengers Monaco to cover for Radamel Falcao`s long-term injury absence.
Holtby, 23, has moved to Fulham on loan for the rest of the season.
He joined Spurs from Schalke 04 in last year`s January transfer window but was unable to establish a regular place in the first team.
Holtby scored his only league goal with a spectacular long-range strike at Craven Cottage as Spurs won 2-1 at Fulham last month.
Fulham also said Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes had joined Championship club Queens Park Rangers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand